Sunday, September 09, 2007

What a feeling...

An incredible feeling.

As you may or may not know, earlier this year Gram and I were blessed with a stray cat and 5 kittens. (Belle-Mama Cat had given birth to them in the crawl space of our house). Well after several weeks, we coaxed her in to bringing the kittens in to our house and adopting us as their human servants.

Unfortunately and against my better judgment, I continued to let Belle go outside without getting her "fixed". Well, I paid for it the hard way, because she became pregnant again. Luckily for female cats, they only have to carry their young 65 days (or 9 weeks) whereas female humans must carry their young for 252 days (or 9 months).

Well, yesterday was Belle's 65th day and right on schedule she began delivering her newest litter (if anybody asks me what sex they are---prepare to be shot---long story for another post). The first three to pop out were ginger colored (orange for those who wish to be technical). The fourth one to make an appearance was ginger and white (which means that the Tom Cat who was Daddy to the first bunch is also Daddy to this bunch---the markings are identical), the fifth one is absolutely as black as coal.

So I figured since she delivered five last time, that's what she was presenting us with this time. See I was privileged enough to be by Belle's side (she trusted me) not only in case of a problem developing, but for morale support as well. And with Belle's blessing I even held a couple of them, beginning their education of human handling.

The joke is on me again. As I was telling her what a great job she did and how proud Gram and I were of her, Belle went into contractions again. And to my astonishment out popped number 6, a perfect little calico-colored cat.

So now we have 12 (including Mom Cat). A decision as to what we are doing with them will not be made until the newest ones are safely weaned, a mistake I made with a cat that I had as a youngster (took him from his mother too soon).

As for Belle and her days of going outside. No way, not until she is fixed this time!!!! I don't care what anybody says, I'm not that irresponsible when it comes to increasing the pet population.

Pictures soon.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend. I know I will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis. Glad to hear the new babies arrived safe and sound. :) (I thought sure I'd posted here already... *hmm*) It's really something amazing to watch new life come into the world, isn't it? :)

So, what now? Twelve cats is too many cats for anyone, I would think; in your situation, I can only imagine how difficult it's going to be...

Please post updates about the kitties, okay? And don't forget to include Belle and her first set of kitties! :)